Friday, July 18, 2008

I thought yesterday was Friday

Upon jogging down a local bike path I have seen some notable things the past couple of months. Bunnies the size of my fist grazing in the grass. An Asian man walking backwards, but turning around sheepishly as I pass him. (I was running forward.)An innumerable amount of dog waste left by irresponsible pet owners. And a woman holding her dogs...rather than walking them.

Perhaps my favorite sight thus far has been the Mother and Daughter teams out for their evening "exercise". They walk at the pace of snails in leisure wear, gossiping about family. Sometimes they have dogs with them, sometimes they wear scowls on their faces.

The common thread is that they walk on the left side of the path. We are not in Europe. No matter how much I wish this to be true...it's just not the case. People drive on the right side, why would we walk on the left? There are signs posted to prevent this. They say to "keep to the right, pass on the left." Seems simple enough. I guess they never had my sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Andresen. She stood in the middle of the hallway when changing classes and sang melodically "To the right, To the right, To the right right right"

This aggravated my young mindset, but now I wish to shout it at these flabby women. What if a bike comes barreling at me, and as I am forced to pass them on the right...the bike flattens me? What if one of those police 4 -wheelers issues me a ticket for passing on the right? So many terrible possibilities that will likely never happen. But come on. It's the principle.

No comments: