Thursday, January 7, 2010

History of my weather-induced driving paranoia

I have a problem. I hate driving in snow and ice. It all began at the age 0f 18. I decided that an ice storm could not stop me from picking up my friend and venturing to the local mall. I was (and still am) driving a tiny Honda Civic. This should have been the first clue pointing to a reoccurring theme of "danger".

I knew I had an inkling of uncertainty when I asked my father if it was ok to drive, rather than my mother. Opposites on every level, my father is about as laid back as a corpse. My mother on the other hand? Let's just say her reaction would have delivered in shrill tones, asking me if I was insane.

Looking back, did I REALLY need to hit up the Phillipsburg Mall with such urgency? No. That mall was not worth my time on a sunny day. But for some reason I had set my mind to an evening of retail disappointment. A small ice storm was not going to deter me. No way.

I bundled up, stepped onto the driveway with care, started the car and was on my way. Sliding all over the road after the first turn I thought "well they haven't salted yet...I am sure the main roads are fine." I continue along until I hit such a major road, which is conveniently a steep hill. I see cars attempting to go up the incline, most are stuck completely. A cop car attempting to bring order to chaos was parked nearby. I immediately felt at ease for virtually unknown reasons. Was this policeman going to prevent me from getting into an accident? Would he be able to erase any damage incurred? Of course not.

I inch along, further down this slick boulevard. Passing my old pediatrician's office, I suddenly lose control. In slow motion I am spinning off the road closer and closer to a light pole. A sense of calm came over me which drowned out the sheer terror I initially felt. I had lost control of the car but was going so slowly in the first place that I didn't think I would be seriously injured. I was right. Before I know it my driver's side has attached itself to the pole with a loud smack. I sit stunned for a second, but quickly rifle my phone out to call my house. Half in tears I tell my mother what happened. She didn't even know I had left the house. I crawl out of the car with the policeman's help and wait for my frantic parents to arrive.

My family rushed the four blocks to the scene. (My dad took a little longer..he's uh..methodical in his actions) My mother was at first angry but glad I was ok. My brother was in wonderment of it all and I just wanted to go back in time to make a better judgment call. The officer was helpful with filing a report for the insurance company and keeping everyone calm.

It turns out that total damage was $4,000. They did not total the car because it was a Honda. I think twice before driving anywhere in sub par conditions. This has kept me out of trouble, until last month that is.

No comments: