Monday, June 1, 2009

Combustion would be preferable to...

mindless data entry on a day that I planned on reading magazines. I don't enjoy Mondays, and I don't enjoy putting in a bunch of letters and numbers regarding other people's accomplishments. I get used to doing nothing, and though it drives me insane my rate of pay matches the amount of tasks I normally need to accomplish. I.e.next to none. But that's OK, it's nice to break up monotony with more monotony.

I recently went on an interview where my would-be supervisor disclosed that they had 200 applicants for the position. They were interviewing forty people in person. I remained upbeat after hearing such discouraging facts, but as soon as I walked out the door my caffeine-fueled positive outlook dissolved rather quickly. FORTY PEOPLE? Should I have attached a head shot with my resume? Done a small dance routine to seem a bit more memorable? What's worse was that she had already interviewed 30 bodies.

She politely asked if I planned on doing anything with my degree. Of course I said I would just love the opportunity to be an admin for an engineering firm. I earnestly stated that I would jump for joy if I was hired to type up documents for 70% of the work day. (While the other 30% would likely be spent on a self-suicide watch because I can't imagine this job would be anymore fulfilling than staring at white walls for 9 hours.) Ah, the joys of interviewing. These people are basically looking for the person who can bullshit convincingly. I am working on it, while learning from those who seemingly lie all day and take great pleasure in it.

I am left to wonder if I will hear back from this cattle call. Give it another day, and another shot of espresso and I will be back at it, among millions of others who are searching during our great "recession". Keep spending Obama, who needs a pension or social security anyway?

2 comments:

Kris said...

That interview sounds really discouraging. Im on my way to a job fair. I planned on being there when it started, 3pm, but discovered I was wearing shoes that didnt match. Ahh! Obama is spending a lot, but I think things will get better.

Sheil said...

Yeah it really was. I was in the top 20% of applicants though! Wahoo. Not. I felt it was a waste of 3 hours of my PTO time. Blah. Wow mismatched shoes? I would be upset haha. I so hope things get better, because this is outta hand.